Thursday, June 17

uhh.. Christianese?

So it’s been a while since my last post. Home is good, the big support show turned out really well. I’m at about 16% right now, but regardless I’m going to Washington with or without support, even if it means that I’m destined for homelessness.

This afternoon I went back to read through some of my posts and I’ve come to realize that I do sound quite “churched” which is super unfortunate. Isn’t it all this “Christianese” language what drives people away? What have I been thinking? This is obviously something I need to do some serious work on, especially if I meet some “Greeners” that I invite to follow this journey that I’m about to embark on.

Did you know that the first thing that drove me to want to move to the Northwest wasn’t that it was a highly “un-churched” area, but that we just share a lot of common ground. From what I understand the past five to ten years the music scene has blown up. More recently bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Modest Mouse, The Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horse and Fleet Foxes have emerged from Seattle and various Northwest cities.

I think several of you would agree, the Northwest has a pretty good feel to it. It’s a fairly mellow place to be, but it doesn’t have to be. I’m sure there are tons of extreme sportests getting there fare share of the more intense side of the Northwest, but walking around downtown Olympia makes me feel calm, maybe it’s because of the amazing view, or maybe just because the people some ultra laid back, I’m not sure.

These reasons are only part of the big scheme of things. Sure it’s a pretty “un-churched” area and yeah, I want to tell people about my experiences with God and dive into intellectual conversations with them, but more than anything I want to love people. I just want to be an awesome friend and serve in the community wherever I can. I want people to see that they’re not being judged, just because they practice other beliefs or don’t practice any belief at all. Try to make up for all those times so many Christians have bashed people or judged others who believed differently.

The suicide rate in Washington is one of the highest in the country. I think some people there have fallen onto hard times, and I just want hang with them, hike with them and get a beer with them and talk about life.

I think we can all agree that according to the Bible Jesus loved and he loved to love. All I want to do is befriend people, help people and love people. The complete opposite of all that I’ve aimed to do in Washington would be for people to feel as if I think they suck because they aren’t Christians. If people felt this way I know I would have completely missed the mark.

So if any of you aren’t into the idea of Christianity (or Jesus, rather) and you get the feeling that I’m speaking in this “Christianese” language than hook me up with your feedback, it is beyond welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment