Saturday, June 19

Paul, a true bro.

Here’s something that I found not only encouraging but also super sweet amidst my season of support raising.

You know, don’t you, that it’s always been taken for granted that those who work in the Temple live off the proceeds of the Temple, and that those who offer sacrifices at the altar eat their meals from what has been sacrificed? Along the same lines, the Master directed that those who spread the Message be supported by those who believe the Message. Still, I want it to be clear that I’ve never gotten anything out of this for myself, and that I’m not writing now to get something. I’d rather die than give anyone ammunition to discredit me or impugn my motives. If I proclaim the Message it’s not to get something out of it for myself. I’m compelled to do it, and doomed if I don’t! If this was my own idea of just another way to make a living, I’d expect some pay. But since it’s not my idea but something solemnly entrusted to me, why would I expect to get paid? So am I getting anything out of it? Yes, as a matter of fact: the pleasure of proclaiming the Message at no cost to you. You don’t even have to pay my expenses!

Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized- whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ- but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in any attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I want to be in on it!

1 Corinthians 9: 13-23 (The Message)

I’ve been reading out of the NIV for quite awhile and I must say it’s always nice to switch up the translation. I love how this passage is translated here in the Message. I’ve had quite an experience since my homecoming to Parkersburg trying to raise money to share the Gospel in Washington. A lot of people don’t feel like it’s Biblical, so there’s my proof. I wish I had a little bit more background at what Paul was going through during this time when he wrote this because when I read it I get the feeling he’s a bit frustrated with his finances as well. (more feedback and comments here please)

I also love the second part of the text where Paul says he’s entered into the worlds of others trying to see things through their point of view. I mean, to me, that seems to be pretty crucial, and sometimes we miss doing that entirely. Sometimes we just jump right in and say “believe is Jesus, trust Jesus, love Jesus!” instead of meeting people where they’re at, we get so hyped up on them making this huge decision that we’ve completely forgotten how important it is to meet people where they are, and enter their world instead of dragging them into ours.

I don’t know, I’m just rambling here. Regardless, this passage is pretty stellar. So to those out there who are raising support and going into the mission field, be encouraged! You’re probably feeling just like Paul did and he was the greatest missionary ever, so you must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment