Monday, May 9

Learning

My blog isn't the only thing that is changing around here. The weather is getting somewhat better, which of course changes the mood of things, the space has been painted black and tan and my love and passion for coffee has grown and grown.

I've always been a fan of coffee culture, even in Morgantown, West Virginia where coffee shops are pretty sparse. I've always enjoyed a warm drink and the quietness that comes with enjoying it while reading a book. It wasn't until my move to the Northwest that my blinders had been removed and I could see how that cup of coffee I was drinking back home should be brewed and cared for.

What I've heard most recently, and jokingly I'm sure, is "Mollie, you're a coffee snob" and that's just not true. It's laughable how little I actually know about coffee and amazing how much you can continue to learn and grow while studying it. It's never ending. I met a guy once who said he's been studying coffee for eight years and still doesn't know everything about it (my guess being because the market keeps changing and technology, and farming, continues seeing advancements) The passion and knowledge that these local roasters have is enough to bring me in to buy some coffee from them. I'm not a coffee snob, I just prefer small business, passionate service and a good deal. By purchasing from these local roasters you're definitely getting more for you buck, it's so good! So, my research is ongoing and hopefully that will help Sound City Coffee set the bar high.

Today I bought a legal pad for coffee only. I just finished my first read through of David C. Schomer's "Espresso Coffee" and now I'm going through my second round and this time taking more notes. Heck, I will probably read it a third time.

Let me be transparent here.. since moving to the Northwest from West Virginia there have definitely been times where I've questioned my purpose, but after our meeting with Oliver last week (and knowing that there are coffee professionals in the area who are genuinely excited about our shop) things have started to change a bit and for the better. I'm looking forward to each day that we get to meet with our great roaster. The knowledge that these coffee connoisseurs have is definitely respected in my arena where I'm just learning. Last week Oliver also gave me a list of blogs that he follows so I can keep up and continue to learn.

I tried to explain to him last week that in West Virginia specialty coffee like this doesn't exist, well I mean, outside of Rich Johnson at the Daily Grind (he knows what's up). I'm just now becoming educated. I proceeded to explain to him that the first day I walked into the shop I was impressed when I realized they brewed fresh by the cup, that I could have any choice of coffee I wanted- they had eight choices that day. Rich wasn't kidding me when he told me I was moving to coffee heaven.

Though it is really exciting for me it is also a bit intimidating to be surrounded by so many coffee elitists in the Northwest. I am in the market of finding a coffee mentor in the area. I just need to have a friend to sit with so I can pick their brain. I love reading all these books and blogs, of course, but to have discussion would be great. I'm anticipating this day.

Until then I'll continue to jot down notes in my legal pad.





(Sound City Coffee set to open June 17)

1 comment:

  1. I love your layout! Mollie, you know what you need to do? Sell loose leaf tea in your coffee shop! It's becoming all the rage and there aren't enough tea cafe's out there! :D Have you been to Teavana or Mat Hat Tea in Tacoma?

    ReplyDelete